I wanted to have a little gift for a couple whose engagement party we were attending, and tea towels were the first thing to come to mind. Tea towels spruce up any kitchen and are a nice way to use up fabric from the stash.
Finished Size: 16″ x 24″ ***As you will see the size of the towel is adjustable. If you have a favorite tea towel, measure that one and add the seam allowances to the measurements. Or if you have a FQ (18″ x 22″) than you can use that after squaring it up, but it’ll be a bit shorter in length.
Materials for Two Tea Towels
- 1/2 yard of fabric or two fat quarters (the length of these towels will be shorter)
- machine or hand sewing supplies
- rotary cutter and/or scissors
- thread (I use Auriful)
- embroidery floss (I use DMC)
- embroidery needle
Here is the Costco bought towel I based my tea towel on.
First I measured this towel to find the dimensions.
I added a 1/2″ seam allowance on each length and an 1″ on the width. ***Use these seam allowances if you’re using a fat quarter or a custom size.
- After pressing the fabric cut 2) 26″ x 17″ pieces.
- On each length side, turn and press a 1/4″ of fabric. Repeat this step twice for each cut piece of fabric.
3. Now that each side of the length is folded over 1/4″ twice, pin each side in place.
4. Sew 1/8″ away from the edge on both lengths. I’m using a 2mm stitch length here.
5. Sew 1/4″ away from the edge of both lengths, creating a parallel line to the first. Now the lengths should be completely sewn.
6. Turn to the width edges. Press and fold each width edge 1/2″, and then fold and press it 1/2″ again, pinning the edge to hold it in place until sewing. Repeat this on the other width.
7. Sew 1/8″ in from the edge on both widths.
8. Sew a 1/4″ from the edge on both widths.
9. Trim up any loose threads. Admire your tea towels!
10. This is a prefect item to embellish. I went for a little spot in each of the bottom right corners. You might want to put your initials or maybe an important date.
Thanks for stopping by! Hope you make some awesome towels.